Second Annual Redbirds Support Your Sport Challenge Set
NORMAL, Illinois – Illinois State Athletics will host its second annual Redbirds Support Your Sport Challenge from Monday, November 29 through Friday, December 3, 2021. The unique five-day event aims to raise financial support for Redbird Athletics teams and their student-athletes, with gifts going directly to the donor’s team of choice.
Three prizes of $ 1000 will be awarded this year: the most donors, the most dollars raised and the highest percentage of alumni participation. Gifts may be tax deductible.
“Last year our competition was only aimed at former student-athletes and we saw former athletes go out of their way to give back to Redbird Athletics,” said the ISU Director of Development. Marianne Riddell noted. “We are very grateful for the support they have shown and we wanted to reach a wider audience by opening this year’s challenge to all Redbird fans. The challenge is really to show our current student-athletes that we believe in them and that they are part of the Redbird legacy as Redbirds For Life. “
The format of the challenge is straightforward, with each of the 19 ISU teams engaging fans in an effort to increase support for current Redbird student-athletes. Two of the award categories are open to all donors: most donors and most dollars raised. The third prize category, the highest percentage of alumni participation, will follow the participation of former student-athletes.
“Support Your Sport Challenge brings back the competitive spirit of our former ISU student-athletes in a fun week-long competition,” ISU Sports Director Kyle brennan noted. “We are thrilled to extend this year’s competition to the larger Redbird family with fans joining in on the fun. Meeting these needs, identified by each sport, is important in helping to provide additional resources for the success of the competition beyond what our athletics budget can currently fund. “
Everyone is encouraged to donate any size during the Redbirds Support Your Sport challenge and an individual donation page for each sport has been created at https://hatch.illinoisstate.edu/g/ supportyoursport. Donations will also be accepted by phone at 309-438-5455, by mail to Illinois State Athletics, Redbirds Support Your Sport Challenge, Campus Box 2660, Normal, IL 61790-2660 (in the note, please write the name of the sport you want support) or in person in Room 213, Redbird Arena during regular business hours.
Specific needs by identified sport:
• Baseball – automated computer pitcher
• Men’s basketball – equipment, international travel, extra meals and recruiting
• Women’s basketball – international travel, extra meals and nutritional supplements
• Football – equipment and nutritional table needs
• Men’s Golf – Improve the practice environment both indoors and outdoors. Indoors: replace hitting surfaces and screens inside the simulator room and add training aids for full swing and putting; Outdoor: purchase of new Titleist range balls for the Mounier Golf Training Center
• Women’s golf – winter training trip; essential as a player qualification system during practices to determine which student-athletes will attend tournaments in the spring
• Gymnastics – new leotards that cost up to $ 250 each
• Football – four dummies for set-piece exercises and free-kick training; Bluetooth audio system for the field
• Softball – winter and early spring tournaments in Florida, Arizona, Kentucky and Tennessee
• Swimming and diving – improvement projects in the Horton swimming pool
• Men’s tennis: six complete tennis camera kits for filming practices and games and a pre-season training trip
• Women’s tennis – six complete tennis camera kits for filming practices and matches
• Athletics / Cross Country – new hurdles and starting blocks for the newly renovated Beynon outdoor athletics complex
• Volleyball – international travel, extra meals, recruiting and travel
For any questions, please contact Marianne Riddell at [email protected] or 309-438-5455. For all about the Redbirds Support Your Sport Challenge, stay tuned to GoRedbirds.com and follow their social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram).
GoRedbirds.com and the Illinois State Redbirds app: Your sources for Illinois State Notes, Weisbecker Scholarship Fund giveaways, multimedia, Redbird merchandise, photos and more.